Saturday, May 14, 2011

Seam Roll: Day 115

What Is A Seam Roll?
For Friday, May 13, 2011

Well, a Seam Roll is a long, cylindrical, firmly stuffed fabric tube intended for aiding in pressing seams.  You can slide it into a sleeve to more easily press the seams that have just been sewn so you have a smooth, flat seam. The ironing board doesn't quite make the grade, as it is too wide and flat. The tailor's ham is too round and thick.

So tonight I made a Seam Roll. It is much smaller than a traditional one. I need it for pressing the seams on stuffed animals, small purses, and the like. Sweater fabric was a great choice, I thought.

Here are the photos and the process:

I chose a very thickly felted sweater. You can see by the cuts and the absence of sleeves that I have used this sweater for a number of other projects. :-]

I cut a long rectangular strip.
Then I tightly rolled it up into a sausage shape.

I pinned it together so it can be stitched closed.

My Assistant was busy helping to measure.

I used a blanket stitch to secure the edge and blind-stitched the ends so they pulled together to make a smooth, rounded surface.

That's about it for now.
Two blog posts in one day!
Hope this doesn't happen again soon.
I am keeping good thoughts that Blogger.com will keep up the site in good working order!

Looking forward to tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment