Saturday, May 7, 2011

Emery!: Day 108

Continuing With Needle Thoughts...
though a new project.
For Friday, May 6, 2011

Here is my old Strawberry Pincushion.
It encases emery which is an abrasive, granular material composed or corundum and hematite. It is used to sharpen and clean pins and needles and is generally found as a small fabric strawberry attached to the traditional  tomato pincushion.

Mine is getting to the point where the emery is slowly leaking out, and larger holes are being left after the needle or pin is removed. 

I have decided to take mine apart.
Here is the beginning of gently seam ripping  so I can reuse the emery.

Thought you might like to see what it looks like.

Strawberry has been completely emptied.
Now I have my small pile of emery to use.

Much of the emery is of a very fine consistency so it really is best with an inner pouch of close-woven fabric to contain it. I used a funnel to help guide the emery into the pouch.


This reminds me of the yolk of a fried egg!

The next phase of this project is to make an outer pouch.
Here are my pieces.
More surprises for tomorrow.

It is WAY too late to continue for tonight. (I got a very late start!)
It's after 1:00 AM for goodness sake...
See you next time.

Meet me here Saturday during daytime hours. :-]

No comments:

Post a Comment